Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mixed reviews…

…from those "in Seattle" fellas. N says I'm a "man of honor" for my caucus day nod to Hillary, while Howie finds me "out as a Clintonista" and beyond redemption.

I'd like to think N is right, of course, for reasons above and beyond my caucus day decision. While I'm not, in fact, a "Clintonista," Howie's right about the uselessness of trying to bring me to "see the light." I'm not an Obamanite, either, and unlikely to become one before the ticket is determined.

I have enough reservations about either of our remaining candidates to have prevented them from being my first choice, and those reservations are, by and large, unresolved. On the other hand, none of my reservations are enough to be obstacles to supporting a ticket led by either Democrat against any Republican. So, I'm not a Clinton Democrat. I'm not an Obama Democrat.

Nope, I'm just a Democrat. Well, more than "just." Over the last four decades, I've been a Democratic officer, candidate, consultant, volunteer and staffer. I've "seen the light" enough times to know that there is no "the light," just the current version, and it looks different from every angle. For Howie, it's Barack this year. For me, it was Edwards. For nearly a third of the attendees at my record-breaking precinct caucus this year, it's Hillary Clinton. If there was any honor in my actions that day, it was on their behalf.

As the Precinct Committee Officer, I had the opportunity to watch the sign in sheets, and as the certified old caucus hand on site (this was my 7th) I had the rules and math pretty well figured out. I knew it was fully possible, given the size of the turnout, that a fairly substantial group of folks could leave unrepresented. Obama was clearly, from the first sheet to the last, winning the precinct, and winning substantially. No help needed there, so, in order to see that the minority view was represented in the results, I gave the help I could.

I did it because those folks that might have gone unrepresented are my neighbors, neighbors who were willing to set around and elementary school cafeteria table for a couple hours on a Saturday. I did it because they're my constituents and I'll be asking for their vote again this year. (The Obama folks, too, are my constituents, but they seemed pretty delighted with three out of four delegates.) I did it because the job of getting out the vote in November is easier without disappointed Democrats in February. I did it because, well, it just seemed fair. (Full disclosure: all that and the fact that the Brilliant and Beautiful Bride of Upper Left had been whispering sweet "I think it's Hillary"s in my ear for a couple weeks. Not that I agree, but...)

In other words, my decision that day was influenced by the same kind of considerations that weigh on the PLEO delegates to the Democratic National Convention. They, too, have constituents. They, more than most, are vested in the best outcome for the Democratic Party, at the convention and in November.

It's why I don't stay up nights worrying about what they'll do come nominating time.

Because, by and large, they're people of honor. Even the Clintonistas.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home