Sunday, January 29, 2006

Well, she didn't say no...

...but it sounds like we better keep those calls and emails going...
Dear Mr. Dale,

Thank you for writing to express your views on the nomination of Samuel Alito to be Associate Justice on the United States Supreme Court. I appreciate your input on this critical issue.

As you may know, the President nominates individuals to serve on the United States Supreme Court and it is the constitutional responsibility of the Senate to advise and consent on the suitability of those individuals to serve in the position for which they have been nominated. While I am disappointed that President Bush did not choose one of America 's many well-qualified female jurists to replace Justice O'Connor, I look forward to the debate before us.

I take my Constitutional responsibility as a Senator to advise and consent on executive nominations extremely seriously. While I recognize the privilege of the President to select his nominees, I believe it is critical that we conduct a comprehensive evaluation of each nominee's qualifications, since Supreme Court judges are expected to impartially interpret our nation's laws during their lifetime terms. Please be assured that I am committed to making carefully considered and independent judgments on every nominee based on a thorough review of his or her records. Of course, it is vital that any lifetime appointee to the highest court in the nation possess the breadth of experience, character, and wisdom necessary to review the most significant, complex, and far-reaching legal questions of our time

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Finally, you may be interested in signing up for my weekly update for Washington state residents. Every Monday, I provide a brief outline about my work in the Senate and issues of importance to Washington state. If you are interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

Filibuster Alito!

Contact Senators Murray and Cantwell now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home