Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Among the various distractions…

…that have slowed my blogging pace lately has been the inordinate amount of time I've spent pondering a response to a recent posts in various places that essentially echo one of the battle cries of my youth, 'Don't trust anyone over 30!', although the age range has been extended in view, I suppose, of extended longevity. Thirty-somethings appear to have slipped into the trustworthy class, but anyone old enough to have achieved political consciousness in the sixties or seventies is delegated to the dustbin of history.

I say inordinate, because though the kids may bruise my ego with their way-new ideas they have about why I'm pretty much useless now that I'm in my sixth decade of life, it's really an old story. Every generation, I suppose, needs their Port Huron Statement, but I haven't seen anything from the cool kids that tops the originalAmerican generational manifesto (Really. They were just kids then.). Still, I try to pay attention, because I remember well the frustrations of being on the other side of the eternal generational divide once upon a time, however long ago that time may have been.

I'll probably have one of my geezer rants ready soon enough, with a focus on the mythology about the Democratic conventions, candidates and campaigns of '68 and '72, but for now, res publica says a lot of what I have to say. Maybe now how I'd say it, but pretty much what I've been thinking. Check it out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home