Tuesday, September 21, 2004

More Matheson...

As noted in a comment, Upper Lefty bluesky wrote to 4th District Dem Sandy Matheson for a clarification on her $2000 contribution to BC04 last summer. Here's the substance of Matheson's response.
I was actually recruited to run for Congress because of my non-partisan, community-oriented approach to working on the Tri-Cities community. Prior to this, I was politically independent. Part of the reason for that was that I ran a Hanford contract (HEHF) and chaired several community boards, including the economic development board. As part of my work and my community involvement, I have always been called upon to support politicians who support our community when they come to our community. It is a common role in business, labor unions, and with community leaders. My political giving history is therefore somewhat balanced, although I have given more to Democrats than Republicans. Some people restrict their giving to ideological reasons. My role in supporting my community required me to support the political process. That is obviously different for me now.

When I did decide to enter politics, I selected the Democratic party. Although I am centrist, which is a good position in this district for serving the general public, I will always be on the side of the individual or people, which is why the Democratic party is the right one for me.
The call to "support politicians who support our community" seems to be of relatively recent origin for Matheson. CampaignMoney.com doesn't reflect any federal contributions from her during the 2000 or 2002 cycles. It's true, though, that her Democratic contributions outweigh her Republican ones, but that's a fairly recent phenomenon, too.

In 2003 she gave $250 to Senator Maria Cantwell, who wasn't on the ballot, and the infamous $2K to the Bushco primary campaign. Nothing else appears until March of 2004, when Matheson had apparently made the decision to run for Congress as a Democrat and stepped up with a corresponding $2K for Kerry and $250 for Senator Murray.

Still, I'm wondering about those Bush bucks. That's a healthy nod from a federal contractor to a politician for supporting "our community."

But Sandy's a D on this year's ballot, and I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, if she'll erase a few of mine, so I'm dropping this note to her. I'll keep you posted.
To: Sandy Matheson, Democratic candidate for Congress
From: Shaun Dale, www.upper-left.blogspot.com

Dear Sandy,
While preparing a post for my blog, Upper Left, on your race I came across your history as a political donor. One of my readers subsequently wrote to you regarding your contribution of $2000 to the Bush-Cheney campaign last year, and has shared your response with me.

I've told my readers that if they are 4th District voters, I hope that they'll vote for you. My blogging motto is "Proudly Partisan," and while I understand that you've carved an independent stance in the past, there's a D after your name now. That's good enough, in my book, for you to merit the vote of any Democrat in your district. We know how bad the alternative can be because, well, he is that bad.

Still, I'd like to do a bit more and be able to urge my readers across the state and the nation to make some tangible contribution to your effort, but there are a few nagging questions I hope you'll address first.

1. Did you believe that the re-election of George W. Bush was the right choice for the country when you made your contribution? If so, what issues or actions by the Bush administration inspired that belief?

2. Did you feel compelled to make the contribution because of your status as a federal contractor? If so, the back story there might be of interest to your constituents and others.

3. Will you make a public comittment to support Rep. Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leadership in the Congressional reorganization if you are elected?

4. Have you received the endorsement of any Democratic Party organizations or Democratic leaders and elected officials? If so, who are they, and why don't you include them in the list of endorsers on your website.

In partisan solidarity,

Shaun Dale
stdale@well.com
Webmaster, upper-left.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home