Monday, July 12, 2004

Half a loaf...

...may not be what we ordered, but compared to nothing, it can be mighty tasty. As I observe below, I'm a single-payer kinda guy, and as such, somewhat underwhelmed with John Kerry's health care proposals, but I'm also a political realist, and the Kerry plan is at least realistic.

Paul Krugman addressed the subject last week, and I agree, in the main, with his judgement...
What are the objections to the Kerry plan? One is that it falls far short of the comprehensive overhaul our health care system really needs. Another is that by devoting the proceeds of a tax-cut rollback to health care, Mr. Kerry fails to offer a plan to reduce the budget deficit. But on both counts Mr. Bush is equally, if not more, vulnerable. And Mr. Kerry's plan would help far more people than it would hurt.
...and with this conclusion.
If we ever get a clear national debate about health care and taxes, I don't see how President Bush will win it.
Of course, I don't see how Bush wins a clear national debate on any subject whatsoever...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home