Thursday, May 13, 2004

I love this stuff

Emboldened by Administration weakness, the Senate Democrats were in fine form when Wolfowitz appeared hat in hand before the Armed Forces Committee looking for a spare $25 billion or so.

Some highlights from the New York Times coverage...

Senator Robert C. Byrd, Democrat of West Virginia, ...predicted that the Senate would approve the extra money to pay for fuel, body armor, troop transportation and supplies, but not without some strings attached.

"I'm going to support this $25 billion," Mr. Byrd said. "But we're going to put limitations on it."

...Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, objected to an effort by the committee chairman, Senator John W. Warner, Republican of Virginia, to limit the scope of questions to the $25 billion reserve fund.

"I've been on this committee for 24 years, I've been in the Senate 42 years, and I have never been denied the opportunity to question any person that's come before a committee, on what I wanted to ask for it," Mr. Kennedy said, his voice booming. "I resent it and reject it on a matter of national importance. And we're talking about prison abuses."

Mr. Warner backed down...

The most heated exchanges were between (Senator Jack Reed, Democrat of Rhode Island) and Mr. Wolfowitz.

"What I've heard from you is dissembling and avoidance of answers, lack of knowledge," Mr. Reed said.

"I'm not dissembling, Senator Reed," Mr. Wolfowitz responded. "I have the same reaction as General Pace. What you described to me sounds to me like a violation of the Geneva Convention. It's the first time I've heard that it was in General Sanchez's direction."

"I would suggest, Mr. Secretary, that you're not doing your job, then," Mr. Reed said.

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Democrat of New York, questioned Mr. Wolfowitz's credibility in predicting what will occur in Iraq... "You have made numerous predictions, time and time again, that have turned out to be untrue and were based on faulty assumptions," Mrs. Clinton said.

Sic 'em, Senators!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home